ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY every sailor needs a PFD — that’s a “personal flotation device,” or what we all grew up calling a “life jacket.” The school has a very strict zero-tolerance policy requiring all students (and instructors) to wear a PFD at all times when on or near the water, regardless of swimming ability. There is no exception to this policy. Make sure your child’s PFD fits well, is comfortable and is Coast Guard-approved. If you have any questions about fit, style or rating, ask your instructor on the first day of class.
Other highly recommended items:
- Rubber-soled, non-skid CLOSED TOED shoes (to be worn at all times — they will get wet): tennis shoes, boat shoes, and water shoes are all good choices.
Sandals, flip flops, and clogs are not allowed.
- Sunscreen (apply early and often, even on cloudy days)
- Sunglasses are very helpful (especially polarized)
- Water bottle (bring full)
- A change of clothes
- Sweatshirt for cooler days
- Rain jacket for wet days
- A bag lunch for full-day sailors
- A bag to store everything
- Croakies or a strap for your eyeglasses or sunglasses
Marking all your items with your name is a great idea. And remember, ALL ITEMS MAY GET WET!!!