Saint Croix Sailing School (SCSS) honors and enforces the following policiesNondiscrimination policy
Saint Croix Sailing School Inc. admits children and adults as students and/or members and/or volunteers to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities made available by SCSS. SCSS does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, socio-economic status, religion, or physical ability in the administration of its admission policies, educational policies, scholarship policies, or other school-administered programs.
- It is our policy that every student, as well as instructors, must wear PFDs at all times when on or near the water. No exceptions.
- It is our policy that all students pass a swimming test on the first day of class. Students must be comfortable in the water and must be able to swim 50 feet with a life jacket on.
- It is our policy that all instructors and coaches have Red Cross certification in CPR/first aid and have completed US Sailing instructor training.
- It is our policy to expect students to follow certain rules that promote the safety of all. Parents will be notified of persistent problems with their child’s behavior. Those students who continue to be disruptive may be asked to leave.
- It is our policy to make every effort possible to sail whenever weather permits. If inclement weather is forecast, the class may be conducted on shore. Student safety will always be our highest priority.
- Some of our sessions offer the choice between different types of boats. After assessing students, SCSS reserves the right to move students to a different boat if we think that will provide better safety for the student, a better experience, and a better learning opportunity.
We have developed the following procedures in compliance with all local and federal governmental requirements and recommendations from the Center for Disease Control. These policies will be in place for the foreseeable future in order to provide a safe environment amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. In order for these policies to have the intended effect, all sailors, instructors, parents, and staff will be expected to follow these procedures. There are no exceptions to these policies and any of these policies are subject to change as the official rules are updated from the local government.
- People who are sick, are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, have a fever of 100.4? or higher, or have been exposed to someone who has COVID-19 in the past 14 days are asked to stay home.
- Students, parents, and members are required to sign waivers outlining the risk of being exposed to COVID-19, affirming they do not have symptoms, have not been in contact with a person infected with COVID-19 in the past 14 days, and agree to abide by our policies.
- Classes will be canceled in case of thunderstorm or other inclement weather. As SCSS cannot maintain safe social distancing in the spaces available, parents will be required to pick their children up. Attempts will be made to reschedule. Classes that are rescheduled will most likely be hosted on a Friday.
- Parents will maintain proper social distancing when signing their children in and out of camp.
- Students and families will not be allowed inside the SCSS boathouse. The SCSS director will check in all student belongings during student sign in.
- Sailors must bring their own clothing, life jackets, sunscreen, water bottles, and any other equipment needed to sail.
- Sailors enrolled in an all day program will be required to bring their own lunch and beverage. These must be clearly labeled and will not be permitted to share.
- Instructors, sailors, and other staff must wear a face covering coverings while on shore. Sailors will be required to supply their own face covering.
- Class enrollment will be limited as needed to help maintain social distancing.
- Only people from the same household will be permitted to sail in the same boat during classes or races. People who are not from the same household may not sail together, unless consent is given by all parties and an additional waiver is acknowledged.
- All equipment, boats, common spaces, and materials used for the program will be thoroughly disinfected before and after use.
- All staff will take their temperature daily and log in reference book.
Policy subject to change at any time. Latest update: 6/14/2020
The Saint Croix Sailing School is dedicated to the health and well being of all participating sailors and our community. We have created these new cleaning procedures to ensure that we are operating as safe as we possibly can. All materials, equipment, and common touch points/areas will be sanitized frequently with a 70% alcohol sanitizing spray as recommended by the Center for Disease Control.
Opening Duties: To be complete before sailors arrival
- Upon arrival all staff will sign in, place personal belongings into staff cubbies, sanitize hands, and then put on disposable gloves.
- Sanitize all chairs, picnic tables, student bins, white boards, portable radios, practice lines, and all other classroom materials before setting up.
- Set up and sanitize sign in station including pens, clipboards, and tables. Each guardian will use a fresh pen to sign in and all pens will be sanitized for check out.
- Set up and sanitize mobile sanitation station.
- Unlock and sanitize all OPTI and 420s.
- Prepare and sanitize coaching power boats
Closing Duties: To be completed as sailors are leaving
- All staff will sanitize hands and use disposable gloves
- Set up sign out station and sanitize pens, clipboards, and tables.
- Sanitize chairs, picnic tables, student bins, white boards, all markers and pens, portable radios, and any/all other classroom materials used before placing them in the SCSS boathouse.
- All coaching power boats to be docked and sanitized
- All lines, sails, 420 rudders, borrowed equipment, OPTI’s & 420 boats will be sanitized.
- Disassemble , sanitize, and store mobile sanitation station.
Policy subject to change at any time. Latest update: 6/14/2020
It is our policy that students are not considered registered until a completed registration form and full tuition fees have been received. Some scholarship funds are available based on need. If you wish to make payment arrangements, please contact the school. Space in classes is on a first-come basis.
Session Cancellations and Refunds
If you need to withdraw from a class, a full refund will be made until two weeks before the start of the class; a 50% refund until one week before the class; no refund after that time. If you are able to find a replacement to enroll in the class, the school will make a full refund.
Refunds cannot be issued for missed sessions or partially attended sessions.
If you need to change your registration from one session to another, we would be happy to work with you to accommodate your request. There is no charge to change or cancel a registration at least two weeks prior to the start of class. Session changes within two weeks are subject to availability, and changes may incur additional fees to cover SCSS costs such as boat and staffing commitments.
In the event a sailing session does not have a minimum number of students registered, that session may be canceled. The school will work with registrants to reschedule for another session or will offer full refunds.
Weather, Staff, or Equipment Related Cancellations
In extreme circumstances, Saint Croix Sailing School may choose to cancel a session or course. Should this occur, it will be solely at Saint Croix Sailing School’s discretion whether the course is rebooked or refunded. Sessions will only be cancelled should A) Equipment not be available due to breakage, B) Staff not be available, or C) Weather or wind will not allow for any on-the-water activities during the entirety of a course. Weather is a part of sailing, is variable, and entirely out of our control. Operatively this means that absolutely no courses or sessions that span multiple days shall be eligible for refund, rebooking, or make-up upon cancellation.
- Gift Certificates do not expire.
- Gift Certificates are refundable, with the exception that after being applied to a registration, our standard refund policies apply.
- Gift Certificates are valid for face value of the certificate only. Note that our session offerings change from year to year, as do our prices.
- Gift Certificates are transferable and are not session-specific. A student receiving a certificate may register for any session they desire.
Our Federal EIN is 26-3596269. This number may be required if you treat class fees as dependent child care or for other tax purposes.
Saint Croix Sailing School (SCSS) recognizes the importance of protecting the privacy and security of your personal information. We provide this Privacy Statement to help you understand what we may do with any personal information that we obtain from you. By providing your personal information to us, you signify your acceptance of this Privacy Statement, and agree that we may collect, use, and disclose your personal information as described herein. If you do not agree to this statement, please do not provide your personal information to us via this web site.
Information You Provide to Us
To communicate effectively with visitors to our web site, we may ask you for personally-identifiable information that can include, by way of illustration, your name, mailing address, email address, telephone number, or graduation date. It is your choice to provide us with this personal information; we will only collect personal information that you provide. SCSS will never sell or trade personally-identifiable information you provide to us through this web site to others unless we have your consent to share the information or we are sharing such information in response to a subpoena, court order, or other legal process.
Personal information related to registration
If you use our web site to register for classes and programming we require that you provide us with certain personally-identifiable information including your name, address, telephone number, email address, date of birth, and credit card number. This information is necessary to process your application and to contact you. Credit card information is never stored on premises or electronically on SCSS computers.
When you visit our site, some information such as your Internet network address, Internet service provider, operating system, web browser version, site from which you arrived, and the time and date of your visit may be collected automatically as part of normal site operation. This information is used solely to track web browsing patterns to better understand how our site is being used, and when necessary, to troubleshoot problems with the site.
To disable the Facebook’s tracking on our website, visit:
Links to Other Sites
This web site contains links to other sites that are not owned or controlled by SCSS. Please be aware that SCSS is not responsible for the privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage you to be aware when you leave our site and to read the privacy statements of each and every web site to which you provide personally-identifiable information.
This Privacy Statement applies only to information collected by this web site.
Use of This Site by Children
SCSS offers programs for children at certain times of the year, and provides information about those programs on this site. However, this site is not designed for or intended for use by children under the age of thirteen, and we request that such individuals do not submit personally-identifiable information to this site.
We follow generally accepted industry practices to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially reasonable means to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Changes to this Privacy Statement
We reserve the right to modify this privacy statement at any time